May 18, 2019, Leuven, Belgium – On the occasion of 2563rd birth anniversary of Lord Buddha, Lumbini-Kapilvastu Global Campaign, Belgium (LKGCB) organized Peace March 2019 in Leuven, Belgium in association with Embassy of Nepal in Belgium, Non-resident Nepalese Association (NRNA), Belgium and Kabhrepalanchok Aid Committee, Belgium.
The aim of the World Peace March 2019 was
- To celebrate the birth anniversary of Lord Buddha as well as promote peace and non-violence messages of Lord Buddha for world peace
- To highlight Lumbini, the birthplace of Lord Buddha as a World Peace City and
- To promote visit Nepal 2020 campaign.
Leuven city administration provided the permission and route for the Peace March. Approximately 50 participants representing various organizations including Active Intercultural Federation (AIF+) Belgium, started the peace march from Herbert Hooverplein in the presence of Leuven Municipality Deputy Mayor Mr. Dirk Vansina and continued though the city by holding various types of banners and placards and distributing promotional materials along the way. All participants finally gathered in Bruul Park to exchange messages and opinions before concluding the event.
Dr. Rajendra Bari, general secretary of LKGCB, thanked all participants for their participation to such an important event and reminded one quote from Buddha’s teachings -“Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace.”Dr. Bari invited following members to share their opinion and message on this event.
- Mr Sudhir Bhattarai, Chief Guest & Deputy Chief of Mission, Embassy of Nepal in Belgium
- Mr Khadga Bahadur KC, Vice President of Non-Resident Nepalese Association Belgium
- Mr Dilli Ram Bhandari, Chairman of Kaski Samaj Belgium
- Mr Kul Bahadur Karki, Chairman of Gulmi Samaj Belgium
- Mr Damodar Prasad Acharya, President of LKGCB.
During this event, everybody expressed their interest in continuing such event in future and involve all relevant organizations to promote the message of peace and non-violence.
Also present during the event were -Ms Njanshi Shanmugampillai, Vice -President of AIF+, Mr Sam and Mr Gust Verbeke from AIF+, Ms Rajani Pradhan, NRNA-ICC Women coordinator, Mr Dinesh Uprety, Chairman of Kabhrepalanchok Aid Committee Belgium and Mr Rabindra Man Shrestha, Honorary Public Relations Representative of Nepal Tourism Board for Belgium.
In the concluding remarks, the President of LKGCB, Mr Damodar Prasad Acharya, emphasized the importance of Lord Buddha’s teachings to promote the message of peace and non-violence specially now because there are serious tensions between Iran and USA. Finally, Mr Acharya expressed gratitude towards everyone and thanked them all for their valuable time and active participation in the World Peace March 2019.